Become a Stephen Minister
God uses Stephen Ministers to bring life, hope, and healing to hurting people and we are so excited that you would consider joining that adventure!
- A believer who is mature spiritually, emotionally, and relationally.
- An active Crossroads partner.
- Completed the 50-hour Stephen Series.***
- Regular participant in both supervision and ongoing education meetings.
- Commit to one hour per week of one-on-one care with an assigned care receiver in one of these five areas: Crisis, Follow-up, Chronic, Preventative, and Caregiving.*
- Attend monthly supervision and ongoing education meetings in order to maintain your active status.**
* You will not be assigned to individuals who are severely depressed or suicidal, to couples, to the severely mentally ill, to those who are actively practicing an addiction, or to those who are experiencing or practicing severe abuse.
** The care our Stephen Ministers offer is theologically in harmony with the Crossroads Statement of Faith and within the framework of Stephen Ministries concepts and practices.
*** This is a requirement for participation in all of our Care Teams.
Before becoming a caregiver and accepting your first care receiver, you will receive 50 hours of carefully crafted training in a rewarding and enjoyable small group experience.
Through readings, role-play, and shared interactions, trainees bond as a group, become better listeners, and learn to walk alongside others who need them.
Our Stephen Ministry’s series begins in January and ends in April. It is held at the church on Tuesday nights. Two fun and engaging weekend retreats are also included in the series. For more information about the Stephen Series, click here.
- Apply. Click here to download the application.
- Interview. All applicants will meet with at least two current members of the Stephen Leadership Team to discuss their interest in the ministry.
- Training. Complete the 50 hours of training in the Stephen Series. Click here for the training schedule.
- Start. Gain approval by the Stephen Leadership Team and commit to two years of service as a Stephen Minister.